The Outreach Committee meets at 7:30 the first Wednesday evening of each month.
The purpose of the committee is to be involved in helping both in and beyond the parish.
The Outreach Committee is involved in:
1. The Mary Street School Breakfast Program which provides a nourishing breakfast to children who would otherwise do without.
2. Distribution of food and personal care products donated by parish members.
3. Co-ordinating the Angel Tree Gift Bag program at Christmas.
4. Distribution and delivery of mittens, scarves and hats from the “Mitten” Tree” to needy area schools.
5. Purchasing socks for the needy with Canadian Tire money.
6. Delivery of pop tabs.
7. Sending birthday and Christmas cards to residents with mental health problems who reside at St. George’s House in Toronto.
8. Provision of meal tickets one day a week.
9. Distribution of Outreach Funds to the following:
Cornerstone – Men’s Hostel
YWCA –transitional housing for women, teens and children
Denise House – a shelter and safe haven for abused women and children
Gate 3:16 – a Christian counseling and drop-in centre for men, women and youth
Simcoe Hall Settlement House – delivers programs and services to contribute to the wellness of needy individuals and families and provides a food bank
Durham Outlook for the Needy – umbrella organization for St. Vincent’s Kitchen
Lakeridge Chaplaincy – ongoing ministry for those in hospital and their families
World Vision – sponsorship of a 10 year old girl from Tanzania. We recently donated $100 to help stock a medical clinic. The $100 pays for the shipping of $1500 of medical supplies donated by a pharmaceutical company.
Primate’s World Relief Fund – to support current world disasters
Individual Parishioners Donate:
Gift Bags for the Angel Tree program
Food for Simcoe Hall Settlement House
Mittens, scarves and hats for the “mitten tree
Personal care items
A&P register tapes
Canadian Tire money
Aluminum pop tabs
Campbell soup labels
Church Groups Participate in Outreach by:
- Serving at
St. Vincent’s Kitchen
Meals on Wheels
special meals at St. George’s for the homeless
- Making teddy
bears for Third World countries and for Alzheimer patients
parishioners who are in hospital, nursing homes or confined to
their own homes
in the Open Door program to welcome visitors to our church each
weekday between 11:30 and 1:30
- Playing the
chimes on a daily basis
altar flowers to various places
New members are always welcome to join the Outreach Committee.
If interested please contact Catherine Lofsky or Lynda Flegg by leaving a message at Cowan House: 905–723-7875.